WORLD NEWS
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi announced on Friday that Tehran is ready to submit a draft nuclear agreement to the United States in the coming days, amid escalating warnings from US President Donald Trump of potential military action.
Speaking to the Morning Joe show on MSNBC, Araghchi said, “The next step for me is to present the draft of a possible deal to my counterparts in the US. I believe in the next two, three days, that would be ready, and after final confirmation by my superiors, it will be handed over to Steve Witkoff.”
President Trump had on Thursday set what he called a 15-day deadline for Iran to reach a deal over its nuclear programme, suggesting that military action could follow if no agreement is reached. Araghchi, however, rejected the notion of an ultimatum, stressing that discussions aim at a “fast deal” beneficial to both sides.
He clarified that US negotiators had not demanded the cessation of Iran’s nuclear enrichment, countering repeated statements by American officials and Trump that enrichment must be entirely halted. “We have not offered any suspension, and the US side has not asked for zero enrichment. What we are now talking about is how to make sure that Iran’s nuclear programme, including enrichment, is peaceful and would remain peaceful forever,” Araghchi said.
The announcement follows the conclusion of a second round of Oman-mediated talks in Geneva on Tuesday, after an initial meeting on February 6. These are the first substantive discussions since last year’s 12-day Iran-Israel war, during which the US conducted strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.
In parallel, Trump has deployed a substantial US naval presence to the Gulf, describing the movement of aircraft carriers, including the USS Abraham Lincoln and Gerald Ford, as a show of force. Iran, meanwhile, conducted naval exercises in the Gulf and around the strategic Strait of Hormuz, signaling its own readiness to respond.
The US has consistently demanded zero enrichment and pressed Iran to address ballistic missile development and support for militant groups—issues strongly highlighted by Israel. Tehran denies any military nuclear ambitions, asserting its nuclear programme is solely for civilian purposes.
As tensions mount, the world watches closely, with both sides emphasizing the urgency of diplomatic engagement while simultaneously showcasing military capabilities in the strategically vital region.